Tuesday 9 November 2010

Understanding LF and HF Propagation ebook


In 2008/2009 Alan Melia G3NYK and I wrote a series of features on understanding LF and HF propagation for the Radio Society of Great Britain's (RSGB) "RadCom" magazine.

My features consisted of a month-by-month look at each HF band in turn, showing the reader the propagation modes behind each band and explaining some of the technicalities of ionospheric propagation.

I looked at the D, E and F layers, Sporadic E, the MUF/LUF, using solar data, propagation programs, NVIS and much more.

Alan then took over and wrote three detailed features on LF propagation. We are told that the features were well received and as a result I have managed to persuade the RSGB to allow me to put them together into a single document, which is now freely available for amateurs worldwide to download.

I hope you enjoy it.

Steve G0KYA

Download the "Understanding LF and HF Propagation" PDF (1mb)

16 comments:

  1. Nice one Steve! I gave it a plug on CQHQ blog.

    I have heard good things about your book Stealth Antennas from a couple of people too, so that one should sell well if the grapevine is anything to go by.

    Best of luck Steve GW7AAV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much.
    Bobbie the boy says,"Great"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,

    Many thanks for making this available.

    cheers, Graham ve3gtc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much for this, should be a good read!!

    Steve.

    MM0SGQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve,
    Thanks for this ebook, I am new in DXing and this book is very usefull for me.

    Regards,

    Gerard
    BDXC1693 The Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you to write it. When it will be realized. I am waiting here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks Steve. This will be a document I recommend to a number of other hams.
    73 de Barry W4WB
    Huntsville, Alabama, USA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much. For me, final part was most interesting. Is there Dst readily available somewhere to look?

    Vytenis, ly2kz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for making such a valuable easy to understand book available to the Amateur Radio Community, for free. 73 de N1NUH

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many thanks for the e-book. Its a good article/refresher. Its a pity more magazines dont go down the e-book route, as it would reduce the amount of paper I recycle each month.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Vytenis,

    You can get Dst figures from:

    http://dl1dbc.net/Lowfer/DST/

    ReplyDelete
  12. as all said before thanks for the downloads it makes fab reading i am also new to the radio hobby theres so much to take in phew

    ReplyDelete
  13. I upload it to my blog for the Greek radioamateurs.
    Thank you very much for your excellent job!
    Cheers
    Peter
    SV3AUW/M0LPT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Many thanks for this Steve...greatly appreciated

    73's de M3HSJ

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like to add my thanks for posting this. I intend to go over this very closely.
    73
    Gary KC8IQZ

    ReplyDelete