Friday 17 December 2010

Stealth Antennas - now available in USA


My RSGB book "Stealth Antennas" is now available in the USA from the ARRL.

Tiny postage stamp-size gardens, intolerant neighbours, planning permission problems, living in apartments: these are some of the challenges facing the modern radio amateur when trying to get on the air. Stealth Antennas offers clear practical advice to those who might have thought they were unable to put up a suitable antenna.

You can buy it in Europe from the RSGB and in the USA from ARRL.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the many US hams who helped with the book by contributing their stories.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    I am reading your book, "Stealth Antennas", which I got as an Xmas gift from my XYL. I am enjoying it and I enjoying reading about your personal experiences too.

    I do have a question, which I hope you can help me with or advise. The previous owners of my house installed a gas boiler in the loft. As this is one of those modern boilers with electronics etc, I am wondering if having transmitting aerials in the loft might be a problem?

    What do you think, and if I would like to try, what precautions should I take?

    The house if an end-of-terrace and the boiler is mounted on the gable, which is brick.

    vy 73

    Andre', M0JEK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Glad you're enjoying the book. I think it is a question of power really. You don't want to cause too much RFI, which could affect the boiler's electronics. The solution is probably a) use QRP b) keep the antenna as far away as possible c) stay away from unbalanced antennas such as long wires and use the antenna's natural nulls to keep RF away from the boiler.

    For example, a mag loop has a deep null broadside to the loop. A dipole has a null off the ends (although an inverted V has less of a null).

    It may be case of suck it and see - but 10-25W max sounds cautious. Let me know how you get on.

    Steve G0KYA

    ReplyDelete